Question
Posted by: Hilda | 2004/03/04

Will staffie male cope with new staffie female puppy?

We have a male staffie. Approximately 1 year and 2 months old. We think that he might be alone as we work all day. We thought that it would be a good idea to get him a mate. We thought of getting a female puppy(staffie) but now I have read a few articles that says staffies do not do well with any other dog! What do you suggest?

Hi Hilda - You are right to be concerned. Unfortunately Staffordshire Bull Terriers, like Pit Bull Terriers, have been selectively bred for many years to fight with other dogs, although they are usually very good with people. Some people manage to own two staffies successfully, but they are usually knowledgeable about the breed and are very firm with them from the beginning. The problem is that if they do start to have fights there is not much you can do except separate them permanently or re-home one - that's if they survive! If your male is neutered, has been well socialised with many other dogs of all ages from 8 weeks old, having played with them and had them on his territory without any signs of aggression, then it may work to have a bitch. However the risk of them fighting is still high as the puppy becomes a cheeky teenager. My suggestion is that you rather choose a bitch puppy from the hound or working dog (not guarding dog) groups. The obvious breed is the Labrador as this breed is very unlikely to fight and is usually friendly and compatible with all breeds. You could also consider adopting a full grown bitch (not a fighting breed) as you will be less anxious leaving them together at first. The only other option is to find a place to take your dog for some of the days when you are not at home (e.g. an elderly person who would like the company) or get someone to be at home with him (e.g. a char/domestic worker who will pay him some attention).
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: Davina | 2004/03/05

Hi Hilda,

I have a staffie cross and she tries to bully the smaller dog. Perhaps if you get a larger female dog, it would work but ask an animal behaviouristor vet.

Carol pls email me on davinahg@hotmail.com

Reply to Davina
Posted by: carol | 2004/03/04

I dont know staffies but in general i would say that getting him abuddy is a good plan , aslo yr staffie is still not much more of a pup himself.

I realy cant see any problem , introduce the two on neutral territory .

Also be aware that a older dogs often has high tolerance levels as far as pups are concerned , but they do become less tolerant as pup is expected to mature and learn manners ... I have found a policy of non interference works best ... just keep your radar very alert is all

Reply to carol