Question
Posted by: anon | 2007/12/11

will medication help

Dear CS, can you please advice me. I've been going through a very difficult time the last few months (husband cheating etc.) I am struggling to cope and are constantly depressed and get violent outbursts. I don't know how to handle it anymore and even I even think of suicide quite often. Will it help to seek professional help and will they prescribe medication? I don't want to be classified as "mad" but I am very scared that I will have a complete breakdown and that I will do something really stupid. Please advice me as I don't think that I can take it anymore.

DO see a psychiatrist for a full assessment of the situation and of how it is affecting you, and then a discussion of treatment options based on that. It may well be that some CBT counselling would be more useful than medication, but the shrink you assessed you would probably know best. There's nothing "Mad" abouyt being distressed within a distressing situation --- it'd probably be more odd NOT to be distressed.

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/11

You are definitely not mad, and deserve all the help you can get. Please call Lifeline:0861 322 322 or the Depression and Anxiety Group helpline:8am-8pm (011) 783 1474/6 and talk to someone urgently.

You need to talk to a counseller to help you deal with the stresses in your life. Hang in there, life can get better.

Reply to Maria