Question
Posted by: Broody | 2007/04/10

Will medication affect baby

Hi, Doc

My husband and I would like to start a family soon, but he has been diagnosed with scitzophrenia. He is on medication ( abilify 10mg) and is doing great. I know that there might be a chance that our baby might suffer from scitzophrenia. I would just like to know if the medication my husband is taking will affect the baby and what are the chances of our baby becoming scitzophrenic.
Thanks.

Dear Broody
There is definitely a genetic link - See http://www.health24.com/mind/Psychoses/1284-1296,17668.asp
It is difficult to predict what the chances of your baby getting schizophrenia is - if one parent is affected the chances are around 10% ( 90% of not having it!)
It will probably not affect the baby if your husband is using it.