Question
Posted by: Exercise and depression | 2007/08/22

Will it work

I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in March this year and both the shrink and my GP recommended anti-depressents. I declined taking them as I did not want to take anymore medication has I had beed on medication for other ailments for the past three years.

I stopped the counselling after three sessions as it was expensive to maintain. Now I feel the dpression symptoms returning and I need help but I cannot afford it. I read somewhere that exercise can help. Would me exrcising help as I feel I need an outlet (and have gained massive weight since the problem started)?

I understand that you fel quite strongly about this issue, but my personal approach has always been to see medications as tools to use to achieve worthwhile ends. If the Ads will help reduce the symptoms of PTSD and enable you to live a more pleasant and productive life, why would one refuse them on some theoretical basis ? Exercise might indeed help to some extent, but would probably not be adequate to remedy the entire situation. If your PTSD is related to military serice, they ought to provide treatment for you. Otherwise, antidepressants are not too expensive if one sues well-tested established ones in the generic form.

2

Wanted to add another great tool, very therapeutic is journalling. Writing down your feelings each day. Set short term goals and med and long term ones.

Write about anything and everything that comes to mind.

Posted by: anon | 2007/08/24

Contact Lifeline, they will be able to counsell you free of charge.

Exercise does certainly help, you have to be disciplined though, and joining a gym can also be expensive unless you going to exercise on your own, like taking a daily walk, run, jog etc.

Your brain releases chemicals and the endorphins are feel good hormones one gets after exercising, especially cardio exercises, sunlight can also be beneficial and positive affirmations but to get over the PTSD you do need counselling.

Reply to anon