Posted by: Worried Again | 2008/08/01

Will it make a difference?

Hi Doc, I have had a chest cold for a week now, not serious but it is there. I usually go to gym everyday of the week and I am so scared that since I am skipping a week because I cant train when I have this type of a cold that I am going to put on weight because of it? Am I being stupid? Thanks

Dear Worried Again
I am sorry to hear that you have a persistent chest cold. Firstly you must not exercise while you are ill, as you can cause a lot of damage to your system if you do. Secondly doing exercise when you have a cold will make it last even longer. Your prime priority is to get 100% well again and then start exercising again - starting slowly and not straining yourself. You are probably not eating much while you feel ill so this will compensate for the lack of exercise. First get well and then attend to your weightloss. Drink fresh orange juice to boost your vit C intake while you have the cold and get plenty of rest.
Hope you soon feel much better.