Question
Posted by: Louise | 2004/10/18

Will I lose weight by doing yoga?

Hi There

I have been very interested in joining Yoga, but want to know if it will help me loose some weight as well as tone my body? How often do you reccomend that I excersise.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Louise - at the end of it all loosing weight boils down to a simple equation - burning more calories than you consume. Since yoga involves physical exercise, breathing efficiency and greater physical awareness it is very likely that you will lose weight in addition to adding muscle tone. The important thing is to find a studio, teacher and style where you feel comfortable to practice and to learn basic modifications for postures that are a little challenging at first. Thereafter the gifts of flexibility, balance, strength, stress reduction and increased awareness become accessible for every body. More important is the greater confidence, postural alignment, improved breathing and increased awareness that you will feel.
Give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Chris

1
Posted by: Shosha | 2004/12/19

I did Yoga once for about 6 months. 1-2 a week in the UK, and had to come back home. I lost about 5 kgs. If you eat just a little healthier, with specifically cutting down in the fat group, 4 sure you will loose weight.

Reply to Shosha