Question
Posted by: Norma Jean | 2004/01/17

Will a cracked coccyx show up on an x-ray.

Quite a few months ago, I slipped on the stairs and injured my coccyx. It didn't hurt THAT much at the time, and I ignored it. Forgot about it. Then months later, it became a problem. I cannot sit for long without experiencing significant pain. It now feels as though I have arthritis in the bone (I am only 38). It also feels as though the bone is far too low down. It gets in the way when I'm in a sitting position. Would a doctor be able to determine from an x-ray whether it is cracked? Is there anything that can be done about it? I have had trouble sitting for at least about three months now.

Norma, it will usually show on an x-ray, but further tests might be necessary. If it is really a problem, they can remove the part that broke off. Good luck.