Question
Posted by: HK | 2004/12/21

WIL WEET

Ek gym en my gym instrukteer het gese as ek my lyf wil bou moet ek drank heeltemal los.Hy rekin dat n slukkie alkohol jou cm op jou lyf kos en dit vernietig jou bloed selle wat tot 6 maande kan vat om reg te kom,iS DIT SO????????????????/

Hi HK

There's always some truth in any rumour and this is no different. HOWEVER, the truth is that anything in moderation is not bad for you. This includes alcohol. If you eat chocolates too much, you gain weight. If you drink too much coke, you gain weight. If you drink too much alcohol, you gain weight. That's the bottom line and I think that what he is trying to say to you is that if your goal from training is losing weight, then you have to be very good about what you put into your body as well.

The thing about alcohol, especially beer, is that they contain empty calories - in otherwords, they are relatively high in calories, but these calories are never really used by the body, and so they just get stored, and this is why there is this idea that they leave centimeters on you. So it is partly true, but a little bit of alcohol is not going to affect you that badly. I guess the next problem is how little is 'little'? Well, that depends, but I would say that a glass of wine, or a beer is not too bad - every day, a couple of beers, that starts to become quite a bit, and then perhaps he has a point.