Dear doc,as a profesional what is your thoughts on the wii fit?

Hi Anon

Interesting one. I'm going to refer you to an article I wrote on it just over a year ago:

To sum it up, I think that given the choice between Wii and Playstation, watching TV, or another kind of computer game, Wii is better. But it's a bad day for society when we start comparing a computer game to actual exercises! That to me, is a sign that the white flag of surrender has been waved.

Having said that, there are two major benefits of the Wii;

The first is in people who have had some serious injury or illness, and therefore struggle to do sport. I think that if I was running a rehab centre, I would be using the Wii already. It's excellent for balance and control and posture and training in those people who have CP, strokes, serious injury, etc.

The second is in aged populations as a means to get them active, and also for young kids who are obese. But the key to both is to recognize that the Wii Fit (and sports) is not the solution, but rather the STARTING point and so a plan must exist to convert these people into regular exercisers, using the Wii.

Posted by: anon | 2008/10/17

thank you doc,will it benefit me because i am already exercising with 5 times weekly cardio?

Reply to anon