Question
Posted by: breast feeding | 2007/06/20

wight loss

I picked up 24kg in my pregnancy. is now still 15 kg over my goal weight. i'm breast feeding.is there any safe diet that i can follow?

Dear Breast Feeding
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Breastfeeding your baby is the single most important gift you can give your child which will have a positive effect on the child's health for the rest of his or her life, including preventing future obesity. I would, therefore, not like you to follow any drastic diets that could possibly dry up your milk supply. You can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add another cup of fat-free milk or yoghurt to your daily intake to ensure that you and baby get enough calcium. You can also start taking baby for walks every day for 30 min or more to become more active - something that promotes weight loss - but don't do strenuous exercise at this stage.
Enjoy the baby