Question
Posted by: Lalas | 2005/11/24

Wife HIV+ and want to have a baby!

My wife'z HIV+ and m not. We were plainning to have a baby begining of next year through artificial insemination. So we will like to have an advice on this, what could be the implications and if she gets mother to child prevention, wouldn't that make her weak afta birth? She hasn't started with ARV's or any other program and hasn't developed any symptoms. Please help!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Lalas!

This is a tough decision you will have to make. Although mother to child transmission prevention does cut down the chances of your baby being born with HIV a lot, it is not a 100% guarantee. You first of all need to prepare for the worst-case scenario and decide for yourself whether you would be happy bringing an HIV+ child into the world and think about how you would go about raising this child.

Secondly, I believe that the once-off administration of Navirapin to your wife during the MTCT prevention programme does not put her out of line for future ARV treatment. My main concern is whether you are prepared for the possibility, statistically low though it may be, to raise a HIV+ child. I recommend thorough exploration of this issue together with your wife and others whom you trust to make informed inputs, such as a reliable counsellor.

Good luck and keep strong!

Laurent