Question
Posted by: me | 2006/10/31

wierd headaches and stress

HI

I always suffer with terrible migranes,and my BP stays extremely low, as soon as i get excited, stressed, work out or upset i get an instant blinding pain which lasts for hours sometimes even days. I also get servere pain at the base of head and neck, which eases a little if i apply some pressure to the area.

When I have a migrane, I black out, get very weak, vision blurs, i continuously throw up until I cant function at all. I get heart pulpertations to the extent that i feel like i cant breath.

PLease advise, I am not sure what to do anymore, I take myprodol, ibupain, brufen etc... but nothing helps the pain. I have to stay in bed for up to 2 days at time, this is affecting my family, my work, my career and social life...

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Me,

Stress is one of the main triggers for migraine. But we are all stressed from time to time, and we don’t all get migraines. So one has to find out why your body reacts to stress in this way. We can’t get rid of stress in our lives, but we can cut the link between the stress and the pain. One must ask the question, how can stress cause pain? In most people, there is an underlying muscle tension problem that becomes worse during stressful times. If the muscle tension is treated, the stress no longer triggers a headache. Having said this though, it is still essential that you have a comprehensive medical examination, including a neurological examination, to make sure that there is not some underlying serious problem. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).