Question
Posted by: Angela | 2008/02/04

wieight gain of baby

I am 32 weeks pregnant, and last month they started me on insulin for my blood sugar. THey have not been able to get the numbers to stay even and keep uping the dosage of insulin. In the same amount of time the baby has gained 3 lbs in 4 weeks.
The insulin is the only thing that has changed in my life and I've been using it for the same amount of time from my last ultrasound where he weighed 4lbs and now he weighs close to 7lbs.

Could he have gained 3 lbs in one month due to the insulin?

Dear Angela
Insulin can cause weight gain - have you been increasing the insulin dosage on recommendation of your doctor? The weight gain of baby need not be a bad thing, maybe he/she was underweight before. Babies do pick up about 1.5 pounds between week 28 and 32 and 2,2 pounds between week 32 and 36. If the baby is very big, you may need to have a ceasarian section rather than normal vaginal delivery.