Posted by: LIZ | 2008/09/30

Hi Doc,
Please help. I had the Mirena inserted at the end of July this year. Since then I have gained quite a bit of weight. I am feeling very uncomfortable and very bloated. I do not know what to do. I have been on various web sites regarding this matter and there are alot of women out there who are experiencing the same side effects. The Gynae' s all say that it is impossible for a women to gain weight from the Mirena. Do I have this device taken out. I am so confused. I am 38 years old. Please give me some advise.

It could be your body adjusting, which can take 3-6 months.

Posted by: Lizelle | 2009/04/06

Reply to Lizelle
Posted by: LIZ | 2008/10/01

Hi ?,

I have had my period on and off since the Mirena was inserted. I have to live with having panty liners with me every day. I have menstral pain every day. And I noticed a discharge with a bit of a smell. When I looked up why this is, apparently many women have the same side effects too. All to do with our bodies adjusting to this contraption. In the mean time I am going insane with all these side effects I' m experiencing. One lady in the USA gained 35 Lbs in one year because of the Mirena. So I honestly hope it will be only 3-6 months for our bodies to adjust or I will have to seriously think about having the Mirena removed.

Reply to LIZ
Posted by: ? | 2008/10/01

I had the Mirena inserted a month ago. Also been very bloated. Today I had a lady tell me that I' m gaining weight...really upset me. I know they say that your body needs around 3-6 months to adjust. So I' m just going to try and be patient, and just go to gym in the meantime.

I just wanted to know from long did your periods last? I' ve had my period for a month now, and it doesn' t look like it' s going to stop anytime soon. Getting really frustrated.

Reply to ?