Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2010/05/23

Why was both dogs testes removed?

Hi Cybervet. My jack russell terrier had a testicle in his abdomen, and the other in his scrotum. When he was neutered, why was his testicle in his scrotum removed as well, if that testes had no risk of testicular cancer?

Hi Wayne

I expect the reason for the scrotal testicle removal is to prevent your JRT breeding - retained testicles are an inherited condition. If you are not using the dog from breeding then there is no reason for it's removal. The vet should have probably given you options at the beginning.

4
Posted by: Wayne | 2010/05/26

thanks chill. yes but he has a yard and there is no way for him to wander as place is closed off well. just hope he is still happy and energetic. he has a friend in a chow chow dog.

Reply to Wayne
Posted by: Chill | 2010/05/24

For what it''s worth, I think he made the right decision. Your dog is far less likely to wander now, and get himself lost or knocked over in the process. That''s apart from the breeding aspect.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Wayne | 2010/05/24

Thank you for the advice. yes the vet gave options but I decided to let the vet make the best decision for the dog. Only, now I wish he had left the dogs testes in the scrotum alone.

Reply to Wayne
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/05/24

Hi Wayne

Reply to Cybervet