Question
Posted by: kezblonde | 2007/03/29

why the empty feeling?

i'm a ok looking 22yr (mutureity of 29yr) old white female. born in SA, but lived in Malwi from age 12 -18. been in CTN since 2003. i earn a very good salary & i have a car. i have a boyfriend of nearly 3 yrs who is 29 - both been faithful. i have had a few stressful times in the past 8 years of my life and developed few stress problems, weight lose & gain, hair lose & shingles in january after massive work stress and family stress in december. but better now. however i have always had a feeling that i was meant for something great and that why i push myself so hard work wise & i have received lots of praise, but a small part of me feels empty. i sometime lie awake at night and wonder what plan there is for me. should i go over seas and travel - leaving a very good paid job i am happy in and have growth & boyfriend i do love? i also think about the fact that i am so young and have been in such a seriouse relationship, but then i also get angry cause my boyfriend does not want marriage and has never rulled out that he will see other women again - which makes me angry. most of my friend r in university around the world and they tell me stories of all there travels and parties & although i'm earning more money & have freadom i feel like i should be leading those lives. i dont know if i am depressed, but i do need some answers.

( CBT ) Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) counselling could help you to fairly rapidly learn how to avoid avoidable stress and handle other stress far better and with less ill effects. Such counselling could also help you to clarify your life goals. Then it's not a question of deciding whether or not to select one specific tactic ( like the overseas travel ) but looking at whether than choice would actually promote your real personal goals or not.
And don't fall into the trap of believing the stories your friends tell you about their fabulous lives --- those are very rarely accurate depictions of their lives, but, as nobody wants to sound like a failure or someone who made bad decisions, they are higly selective and exaggerated.