Question
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

why so many infertile couples

i was just wondering how so many couples are so infertile? is it that i am just hearing about it now that i am going through it or is it the food we eat? maybe our lifestyles? any idea?

I think that food and lifestyle are factors, particularly with male sperm counts. Stress, hormones in food and sexually transmitted diseases all play a role.

12
Posted by: regular | 2005/06/14

food drink stress and the fast paced life we lead

Reply to regular
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

thanx again for all your help nice to know im not the only one thets not pregnant while everyone else is :)

Reply to lala
Posted by: Zettie | 2005/06/13

Lala

With reference to your question about having sex only to conceive. I am also 25. That is not the case. I think hubby is just a bit anxious and does not realy understand that it can take a while to happen. He is a bit clueless when it comes to things like this but I am educating him as we go a long. I think it is the ego talking when trying to find the fault with himself. I think he is just seeking some reassurance that he is doing ok, which I am giving him all the time.

Reply to Zettie
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

tanx got an appointment in july thanx again

Reply to lala
Posted by: Sam | 2005/06/13

lala - If you've been ttc for 2 years, you should both see a fertility expert for tests. It might be something easy to fix, but without tests you won't know and may carry on trying for years!

Reply to Sam
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

how would you work out your chances at conceiving {at the risk of sounding ignorant?}

Reply to lala
Posted by: Nix | 2005/06/13

There is more infertility now than in the previous generation, but also more people talk about it. Did you know that one in 5 couples battle to conceive. The causes range from increased stress in our generation; hormones in meat, milk, etc; the age we start ttc at (our parents all had babies at about 22 years old, whereas now people are having babies much later due to careers, financial issues); etc.

The good news is that medicine has advanced so much in the past few decades and treatments are available for couples with all types of problems. Fertility doctors really can work miracles - I can attest to that. If it were not for my fertility clinic, my husband and I would never be expecting a baby. There was 0% chance we could have conceived on our own.

Nix
x

Reply to Nix
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

thats true but ive been trying since im 23 now 25 also doesnt it cause stress in your marriage and on your sex life? its like you only having sex to conceive i find that a bit scary and it does take a toll on the marriage esp. since husband thinks its his fault and you know how sensitive the male ego can be.

Reply to lala
Posted by: Zettie | 2005/06/13

My friend and I, who are both ttc at the moment had this very same discussion last week.

We have agreed that in this day and age, it has become an art to fall pregnant.

The lifestyles we lead, the stress we are under at a much younger age, the food we eat and the fact that we only start wanting families at a much older age than our parents and grandparents. There is much more expected of us these days that a couple of years ago. Besides having babies and bringing them up, we are also expected to excel in our careers and not just have a job. And also the fact that our salaries are not seen as a supplement anymore, but a total necessity.

My gynae told me that the younger we have our children, the better, but we, as young people have other priorities we want to fulfill before having children. In my case, I wanted to break the chain of children out of wedlock in our family and decided not to have kids before getting married, which I finaly did last year. But now, I have to try and have my kids as soon as possible due to the strong cancer history in the family. A bit of a catch 22 situation I suppose.

But, all in all, I will still try and master the wonderful art of trying to fall pregnant.

Cheers

Reply to Zettie
Posted by: lala | 2005/06/13

me again, i thought i was one of the few ppl who have problems conceiving until i came across this site and its made me realise i am not alone so thanx :) mostly i just read stuff this is the first time i am posting a question lala

Reply to lala

I dont know. Its actually quite worrying that young people esp. are struggling to conceive.

My cousin at 24 had a premature baby (at 7 months) - she died a day later (the baby). She then fell pregnant again 2 years later and had a miscarriage. She is now struggling to conceive.

I know of many such stories as well and its very sad. I've been told (by my gynae) i musnt try for the next 2 years at least.

IWhen u get the answers, let me know.

Posted by: samantha | 2005/06/13

I think we are more aware of it now, so it seems more prevelant.
Thank goodness for the advances science has made, women who previously would never have conceived are having babies.
I must admit that I had no idea how many women battle to conceive until I came across this forum.

Reply to samantha