Question
Posted by: TANYA | 2007/05/08

WHY NO WEIGHTLOSS YET?

Good day, I just need to know if I am doing this right. For breakfast at 9:30 (I can't stomach anything earlier than that), I have half a cup of Pronutro Wholewheat with a cup of 2 % milk. At 1:00, I have either lentil soup with veggies or veggie soup or bean soup with veggies and all of them have a little bit of meat, usually just plain beef. For supper I either have chicken with veggies and brown rice or wholewheat pasta with veggies and chicken or fish, no creamy sauce with it. I do enjoy 2 glasses of light white wine before dinner. I don't snack, I don't drink fizzy drinks. In fact, the only drinks I have during the day is 2 cups of coffee in the morning, the wine and water. NOW! I don't seem to loose weight. I come home late from work, attend to my son, make supper, clean up, give him a bath, take one myself and then I am exhuasted. I don't feel like exercise after all this. Please give me some advice on what to do.

Dear Tanya
It is difficult for me to judge why you are not losing weight because your diet is certainly low in energy and also has a relatively good low-GI. You also don't mention your height in metres and weight in kg so that I can work out your BMI to see if you need to lose a lot of weight or not. If your weight is close to normal, then it is more difficult to shed the last few kg. In addition your diet may be so low in energy that it counteracts weight loss. On the other hand you may suffer from conditions such as insulin resistance or an underactive thyroid which could hamper weight loss. Another potential factor can be depression which causes pronounced weight gain or weight loss depending on the patient's individual reaction. If you suspect that you are depressed then please seek assistance from a clinical psychologist. Because your present diet is not as well balanced as it could be (for example it contains too little fat-free milk and dairy products to provide you with the 1000 mg of calcium all adult women require), I would suggest that you try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing some form of regular exercise on a daily basis. I know that you are exhausted when you have completed your daily tasks, but it may help if you start some form of exercise like going for long brisk walks over the weekend. Even two days of exercise should stimulate your metabolism.
Holding thumbs that you start losing weight

1
Posted by: TANYA | 2007/05/10

Sorry that I forgot to mention my height and weight. I am 1,62m tall and weigh 63 kg. I used to weigh 57 kg, which is my target. What does insulin resistance mean? Thank you

Reply to TANYA