Question
Posted by: gigi | 2004/02/25

Why is this?

Hello
I am 24 years old and have severe pain in my legs, I have had this for years and have been to many doctors, none of whom could determine the problem. The pain usually occurs when I have been on my feet all day. Nothing helps, not rubbing, not lying down only strong painkillers! Also my ankles swell. I am not over weight, I only weigh 57kg and I am 1.79m tall. Over the past 6 months I have notices small purple veins on my thighs and back of knees! And are getting worse every month! I take care of myself, eat right, drink water and exercise etc....How can I prevent this? My mother has severe varicose veins especially after having her forth child.....is this my fate no matter how cautious and careful I am?? If so, that is so depressing, pls help

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Gigi

Unfortunately I cannot help you because the symptoms you mention cannot be explained on a genetic basis as far as I know.

Regards, Maritha