Question
Posted by: Graham | 2004/01/16

Why is PASTA a good carbohydrate?

Dear Diet Doc

Thank you for an excellent forum! Two questions please

1. Unless I am mistaken, it has always been said that pasta is a good carbohydrate to take. I don't understand this because pasta is made from refined white flour and a little water and egg.
2. I also have a problem with the majority of so called 'wholewheat' breads that are available at supermarkets, because if you look at the ingredients it too is made up largely of normal flour and then it has a few 'wholewheat' kernels for looks.
I love my breads, but I am at a loss as what to buy - even most of the rye breads contain normal flour?
Please help

Dear Graham
The GI of a food is not only determined by its ingredients, but also by the way in which it is processed. In the case of pasta made with durum wheat, it has a low GI, which makes it a 'good' carb.
Wheat breads on the other hand, have a much higher GI. Provita, sourdough rye bread, and seed load breads have a low GI. Pita bread, ryvita, and wheat-free rye bread have a medium GI, so all these breads can be used if you are trying to lower the GI of your diet. However, wholewheat and brown bread (which both have a high GI), have other advantages such as a good dietary fibre content and a relatively good mineral content, thus they can also be included in a healthy diet.
Enjoy