Question
Posted by: Interested | 2004/10/28

Why is it to early for a blood test, only having skipped period for one day?

IPlease could you advise I was supposed to start on the 26 but I didnt so on the 27 I went for a blood test it came back negative, so I accept it. But the Sisters said to me it would be to early to have an accurate answer, and that one must be +- a week late before the test would be accurate, why is that so as I have heard of ladies doing the blood test being 1 day late and there tests were accurate, with there answers.
Im taking the answer to be negative even though I still have not started my period, because I have dull period pains like im going to start and I dont have any signs of pregnancy, like tender breasts or nausea ( heart burn) I only get dizzy if i get up to quickly.
So please could some one teel me why it would be to early

Thanx
Interested

It would be too early for the urine test but the blood test should be accurate.

3
Posted by: Nix | 2004/10/28

My doctor says you can do a blood test on the day of your missed period. You can even do it a few days earlier, but the day of your missed period will give a definite answer

Reply to Nix
Posted by: BB | 2004/10/28

My first blood test after my missed period came back negative and when it was repeated 4 days later it was positive. I am now 20 weeks pregnant. Try again after a couple of days the level of hormones should have increased dramatically if it is a viable pregnancy.

BB

Reply to BB
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/28

Its not too early for a blood test, even a home preg test can show a positive result at this stage.

However, both tests measure the amount of HCG (pregnancy hormone) in your blood/urine, so if you are earlier in your pregnancy than you think, there might not be enough for the test to detect, so that is why they advise waiting a few days/week and trying again.

Reply to Purple