Question
Posted by: Felicia | 2005/01/04

Why does my right ear get blocked whenever I lie down?

Whenever I lie down to sleep at night my right ear and right nostril get blocked. I always wake up with a blocked right ear and right nostril, and sometimes it takes up to an hour before the blocked feeling goes away. It feels like there is mucous in my ear, but I do not have hayfever, sinusitis or a cold. My eyes are also very sensitive, and burn and hurt a lot, especially when I sit in front of my computer.

Felicia, it might be that your right Eustachian tube (the tube between the throat and the nose) is smaller than on the left. In the case of something like an infection or an allergy the walls of the tube may swell and/or fill with mucous and the smallest of the tubes will act up first. It might also be that you sleep on your right hand side and that gravity is to blame. Whatever the cause, the best would be to see an ENT specialist and have it sorted out. Good luck.