Question
Posted by: Jane1 | 2004/10/13

Why do they say chances of miscarriage decrease after 12 weeks?

Hello All,
Why do they say your chances of a mc are less if you've past the 12 week mark? Are there stats that show you're less likely to miscarry?
I am just wondering.
Jane

It is because most pregnancies occur from chromosomal abnormalities within the first 12 weeks.
Miscarriages are less liekly after this.

2
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/14

Before 12 weeks the baby use I think your bloodstream and after12 weeks the cord makes its own (or something like that). Then the baby gets "on its own" . I am sorry I don't know the terms and stuff. A nother thing is that the baby must fully develop before 12 weeks and if that does not happen you get a miscarried.

Reply to Francis
Posted by: Kaleigh | 2004/10/13

Yes, over 90 percent of miscarriages occur during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (i.e the first trimester). Second trimester miscarriages are more common in women who have an incompetent cervix (which, fortunately, is quite rare indeed).

Reply to Kaleigh