Question
Posted by: ADHD mom | 2008/06/05

why do I react this way

CS, my son was dioagnosed with ADHD and is on Ritalin. He is doing fantastic and we cannot believe how much better he is both scolasticly and with all his relationships. He is 6. When he was reassessed, the psychologist was astonished at how much he caught up and advanced in a very short time. He has gone from the irritating child to the most popular boy. Whenever I mention he is on Ritalin I get the from than tut-tut's. Someone even suggested Ritalin is no better than cocaine. It is working wonders for him and yet, I feel like a bad parent for giving him the meds. Why?

Anyone who told you Ritalin is no better than cocaine is ignorant, crude, and pompous. There is a peculiar prejudice against Ritalin and related drugs, which is not based on any scientific facts or sound argument. No other treatment has proved as useful in ADHD, as you have seen for yourself. Yes, some peopkle diagnose ADHD sloppilly and too easily ; and yes, some push kids onto Ritalin unnecessarily. But anything, even water, used badly, is bad for people. Except that there is SOME evidence that
E kids are helped by omega products like HiQ, no other treatment has been convincingly shown to be useful. Sorry you have encountered such prejudiced and ignorant people. Probably best not to mention the nature of his treatment, simply smile modestly if anyone says how well he's doing.

4
Posted by: peppa | 2008/06/06

ignorant people irritate the crap outa me! my son was put on ritalin at the age of 4n a half. he desperately needed it, i know, I'M his mom. just as you cant argue with a drunk person, so you cant with ignorance!

Reply to peppa
Posted by: ADHD Mom | 2008/06/05

KB, they usually start with the have you tried omega 3 & 6... etc. and yes for some kids it does work, it did not work for mine. An they all read on the INTERNET....It makes me so mad I can spit. I wish I did not care what they thought.

Reply to ADHD Mom
Posted by: kb | 2008/06/05

Some people are just so damn ignorant. What you should do is next time someone tut tutts, confront them and ask them what they would do, if they had a ADHD child. They proberly would stand their with a mouth FULL of teeth. If it works for your child, screw the rest of the people, they dont matter in your life anyway.

Reply to kb
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/06/05

Where are you from Mom?
As they always say, the right medicine for the right condition... Otherwise any medicine can be BAD!!

Reply to Anon for this