Question
Posted by: CaT | 2005/11/28

Why depressed only at work?

Hi doc,
Why is it that whenever i get to work and sit down in my office i get terribly depressed? I dont hate my job, i actually enjoy it, i do interior design, its a creative job and as i am an artist i was really exited to get this job. Its not a bad working environment, the people are very friendly and i dont even work personally with clients; thats up to the reps, so i dont have that stress either.
Some days i sit here and just burst out crying, but then everyday as soon as i get home im all happy and full of life again. Why?
i dont understand, please help.

Puzling. IS there a snse of a lack of the supportive people who might be at home ? OR something about not being in your safe home base environment ?
Sometimes when one finally gets the job you've been wanting for ages, it's not quite as great as you expected when you couldn't get it, and so you feel rather disappointed, while feeling that you're not justified in getting disdappointed ? Maybe the job is just a little too comfortable and not challenging enough ?

3
Posted by: Helen | 2005/11/28

I also get depressed only at work as it is so boring. I would take just about any other job just to be busier. The hours drag where I am but I have to stay as being unemployed is not something I want either. Jobs are so hard to come by so appreciate that you at least enjoy being there.

Reply to Helen
Posted by: ... | 2005/11/28

maybe you've told yourself so much that you should be enjoying your job... that it is what you wanted... but perhaps its not really meeting your expectations... is it not possible that there is too little stress... in the sense that you get a little bored sometimes?... or perhaps there isn't enough interaction with other people, which could leave you feeling a bit lonely during the day... sometimes we can't quite pinpoint exactly what causes that depressed feeling... but many times its about the anticipation of the day... feeling like you're adding value somewhere and being able to interact with people who we can relate to... so the actual job itself might be fine... but there is some "zest" missing... something to make the job more than good... something that makes it exciting!!...

If that is the case, then talking to your bosses about adding some responsibility might be useful... a little bit of stress (not too much that you can't handle), is often a good thing... it makes you feel that you are actually adding value and are needed....

Reply to ...
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/11/28

Dear CaT

Somethings bothering you, thats for sure!
And by the sounds of things only YOU know what it is!
It might not be something obvious, but it is where you want to be? Are you maybe not under pressure? Maybe it's time to start taking some vitamins? It could also be that you're tired, like we all are at this time of the year?

It sounds to me like someone has expectations of you, whether its your boss or yourself, and although I don't have the answers to your question, I know that if you look deep enough you'll figure it out.

~Wings~

Reply to ~Wings~