Question
Posted by: can't run | 2003/02/05

Why can't I run?

I've always wanted to be a runner,not just for the fitness,but my friends are runners too. My problem is as soon as I start running I run out of air and feel like I'm going into cardiac arrest! I went to the doctor and he says I'm o.k. to start running. What can I do?

You are just unfit and it takes time to build up your fitness to the level where you can run. If you live in Cape Town, I suggest you join OptiFit Walk and Run Health Programme (021 659 5631) or visit the website: www.optifit.co.za. This can help you to build up slowly under careful and caring supervision, until you "become a runner". You are tested once a month and a programme is prescribed accordingly - you will exercise with people who are at the same level as you, which is better than trying to run with friends who are already runners - - patience with yourself is essential, however.

If you don't live in CT, try the Shape up for Summer Programme on this website (home page). It is a gradual programme that can build you up to a 10km run.
However joining a group is first prize!