Question
Posted by: Blue | 2005/11/27

Why are there so many bad psychologists?

Really, is it easy to become a psychologist? I've heard of so many bad psychologist stories it's unbelievable! I have see a useless one myself - yes he was useless. I started having my doubts when he spent the time I was paying him for preaching his religion to me. I mean - hello - there so many religions in this country. I think if he was competent he would have known how to help somebody wo is not willing to play the religion card or who is from a different religion to hm. Then I was convinced when I realised he had no I dea what I had told him in our first session. He had also forgotten what he had asked me to do for homework. Needless to say - that was my last session with him.

I wonder why this is the case. I think the board that certifies people as psychologis should look at this. The profession is really getting a bad name.

Interesting question, Blue. OK, like doctors, policemen, lawyers, teachers, etc., even one bad one is too much. I think the selection proces is faulty and not attended to properly, and some training programs are also seriously wanting. In the example you quote, it is outrageous that ANY psychologist would EVER spend your time ( which you are paying for ) to preach his religion to you --- that's not a psychologist, that's a fanatic, and he should be reported to the Halth professions Council for seriously improper conduct. If you have religious problems, you go to your minister / priest / imam, rabbi --- NOT to any psycghologist who should not meddle in an area for which you are not seeking help and in which he is not qualified. I hope when you very sensibly left this fanatic, you told him WHY you were leaving and advised him to see a good shrink to sort out his own problems which he was imposing on you.

1
Posted by: SR | 2005/11/28

I saw one for three sessions and by the third she seemed more interested in securing payment from me (As if that was a frikken issue?) ....I said hello and wrote the check and said goodbye.

Personally I am more interested in positive psychology and re-programming than what I am in the negative. I do believe however that empathy is vital and must take the one with the other. Trying to secure a person for long term therapy to ensure ongoing income I think stinks. I understand that therapy cannot be sorted out in 3 sessions but hello surely there is a much better methodology than the practice currently on the go?

Reply to SR