Question
Posted by: zah | 2007/05/08

why am i suddenly picking up weight?

I am 28year old female. I have always been very slim. I am 1.73m & weighed 52 b4 my kids. Although I never weighed 52 ever again (which i didnt mind cause I was teased for being too skinny) I loss weight naturally with both my kids within 2mnths & my avg weight was betw 60-62. Last year I was put on prednisone for bad sinus inflammation b4 my op & also hayfever injection. And my weight has been increasing since. I am now a whopping 71kgs and even though I am not overweight according to my BMI- I feel very uncomfortable. I also dont fit into my clothes which is very depressing. What's happening? Is my metabolism just slowing down? Is it the medication? Could it be my birth control (jasmine)? I have never been someone to exercise regularly but have even started running 3 months back but no difference. I started special k & changed my full cream products to low fat something I HAVE NEVER DONE B4???????

Dear Zah
There are obviously a variety of factors that are playing a role in your case: a) the pregnancies which made you gain about 10 kg (then your BMI = 20,7 which was still on the low side), b) the cortisone medication which can cause weight gain and hamper weight loss, c) the contraceptive hormones which can either cause weight loss or weight gain depending on the individual's reaction. The running you are doing is excellent as this is probably counteracting the effects of the cortisone and the pill so that you don't gain even more weight. You can try combining the exercise with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) to see if you can reduce your weight to 66 kg which is ideal for your height. It may also help to discuss your method of birth control with the prescribing dr to see if you can change to another method that does not cause weight gain.
Hang in there