Question
Posted by: Shads | 2004/10/19

Why am I picking up so much weight?

Hi. I am currently trying so hard to watch my diet. For breakfast I have a bowl of Oatso Easy, at 10:00 I have yoghurt (Vitalinea) and two provita's, I have only one cup of coffee with low fat milk and sweetener, and for lunch I drink a diet shake. At 15:00 I have a fruit bar and a glass of fruit juice and for supper I have whatever my mother cooked, but in a small side plate. And I drink lots of water. Yet I am picking up weight instead of loosing. I do have an occasional piece of chocolate (like a piece once a week), but I don't overdo it. I also exercise for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening on my exercise bike. Yet I am currently weighing 72kg and I am 1.63m tall. I picked up 4 kg's in the last three months! One bad habit I have though is that I have a daily flavoured mineral water, but they say it has 92cal per 100m (I have a 500ml bottle water per day). Is that what is causing the weight to increase? Please advice. I can't eat less!

Dear Shads
The mineral water supplies you with an additional 460 kcal a day, which amounts to 31% of your energy requirement if you are on an energy-reduced 1500 kcal a day diet. It is, therefore, possible that this mineral water is causing the problem. Try changing to a mineral water that is artificially sweetened or soda water instead and let's see if you don't lose some weight. Your present BMI = 27,1 and it would be desirable for you to reduce down to a normal BMI of 25 or less (for which you would need to weigh 66 kg. Also try increasing your energy expenditure a bit by cycling harder or faster every day.

1
Posted by: mo | 2004/10/19

You have to drink at least 1 and a half litres of water.
eat your main meal during lunch & at night & eat something light with 3 fruits a day no banana's.

Reply to mo