Question
Posted by: susie | 2003/01/06

whr

i have worked out my whr and it is 0.86 which i sais to be unhealthy yet my ideal weight is in the healthy range of 20.how can this mean im unhealthy...please can you explain waht this really means...my hips are 85cm and my waste is 72cm
thankyou

Dear Susie
Did you work out your BMI correctly? Weigh in kg divided by (Height in metres x height in metres)? If your WHR is 0,85, then this is an indication that although you may be thin, you have a tendency to so-called android obesity (apple-shaped body with a large tummy), which is linked to increased risk of certain obesity-related diseases, such as heart disease. If your tummy is disproportionally large, then it may be a good idea to do targeted exercise to reduce this dimension - ask Fitness Doc for an exercise programme.