Posted by: marguerite | 2011/11/08

whooshing in ear

I''ve had a whooshing sound in my left ear for a year or 2, it seems to whoosh in time with my hearbeat. have asked doc to check a few times, all looks fine.
I suffer from hayfever, sinusitis and asthma, so often have a post-nasal drip. my right ear has high pitched tinnitus and that I can live with, but the whooshing is awful and seems to be getting worse.
is it worth a visit to an ENT or should I stick with a GP?
what can an ENT actually do about such things?
thanks for your help!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Marguerite

You may be describing a very specific tinnitus called Pulsatile Tinnitus. In these cases it would be worth your while to see an ENT, as a clear cause is usually is mostly identified. An ENT will most likely request an Audiogram, some bloodtests, and possibly a Scan of the inner ear.
The fact is that your GP as checked for the most basic problems, and has excluded that. You now require more special investigations to get to the bottom of your problem.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.