Question
Posted by: tash | 2004/12/15

Who's right?

Dear Doc
I am 21 weeks pregnant and am expecting a baby girl.
I was at the doctor yesterday due to flu and he asked if all is well and am I feeling movements. I said once in a while I will feel a flutter. He informed me that I should be feeling something at least once a day.
I then consulted my sister inlaw and asked is this unusual (she has two girls). She said that with the first child she did not feel something until 6 months.
So who's right? Is something wrong with me or my child?
(I would ask my gynae, but he is away on holiday.)

Tash, the period between 20 & 24 weeks is a grey area. Most women start feeling movement from 20 weeks with there first pregnancy and 18 weeks with the following pregnancies. By 24 weeks everybody should feel movement at least once before 12 noon and once thereafter. There is the exception to the rule, but everything should be OK as long as there isn’t a decrease in movements. The safer option would of course be to see a gynaecologist and make sure. Good luck.