Question
Posted by: paula | 2004/10/22

who must i see, gynae or who???

i'm 29 years, and married for five months now, i'm struggling to fall preggies, i think my years of being preggies are passing by and i'm worried. please help me,

i've never been to the gynae before and i never had a pap smear done on me, is this causing me not fall preggies, please help!!!!!

Five months is a very short time. You should give it a year before being concerned. It would be a good idea to have a pap smear though as you are sexually acyive.

3
Posted by: Nix | 2004/10/22

Hi Ekke,

I think you should see a gynae for a check up and pap smear first (ask friends for suggestions of who they go to).

You can get folic acid from any chemist. Its in the vitamin section (look for Natrodale range). Ask for help if you can't find them.

if your cycle is 28 days long, then you ovulate on day 14 (day 1 is the first day of your period). If your cycle is 30 days, you would ovulate on day 16. You just subtract 14 from the length of your cycle and thats the day you ovulate on (27 days minus 14 = 13....you ovulate on day 13)

Make sure you have sex every two days from about day 12 to day 16 (ie day 12, 14, 16). That way you make sure you will get your most fertile time. This will greatly increase your chances of falling pregnant.

If you're not pregnant after 9-12 months, see your gynae again for some tests.

Good luck and have fun!!
Nix

Reply to Nix
Posted by: ekke | 2004/10/22

Hi purple, Where can I get folic acid I tried dischem and other places aswell with no luck. What do you mean with ensure that you have sex every day from about two days before to about 2 days afterwards. Is this know before you period?? Thanks Ekke

Reply to ekke
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/22

A pap smear is a test for cervical cancer, so not having had one is not affecting your chances of falling preggies.

Most couples take between 6 months and a year of trying to fall pregnant before having any luck, so after only 5 months, it is still early days, and you wouldn't be considered to be struggling.

As you are sexually active, you should visit your gynae for a full check up (including pap smear, breast exam etc), I did this before trying to fall pregnant. Your gynae will then also reassure you that all is well.

Remember to take folic acid every day, as taking it from 3 months before conception helps to lessen the risk of spina bifida. Also, take your preggy vitamins and give up smoking and drinking, and start exercising.

Don't stress about trying to fall pregnant, that just makes it take longer.

You need to have sexual intercourse often, and bear in mind that you should work out your approximate ovulation time each month, and ensure that you have sex every day from about two days before to about 2 days afterwards.

Good luck.

Reply to Purple