Question
Posted by: dee | 2008/01/07

white/red blood cells

If white blood cells multiply themselves for sinister reasons does this mean that because of the increase of number of such white cells the red blood cells become less and are thereby reduced to dangerous levels?? does the one "happening" cause the other "happening"?
or are the two "happenings" unrelated??

When red cells are diagnosed as "very low" and a transfusion is necessary is this "very low" condition "just" serious anemia or is it a sign of leukemia/cancer - what is considered a low and a high red blood cell counts -
My friend has been diagnosed as very anemic (sounds chronic) with low low red bllod blood count and has to have a transfusion three times a week for three weeks - I don't think she is telling me the full story and as we have been best friends for 30 years I think she does not want to upset me with the full details.
I am terried that cancer has been diagnosed but do not want to ask her because maybe she has not been told the full story either -
she told me red blood cells very very low and thence transfusions!

Can you enlighten me on how these blood cells "work" and what are the chances of the low red blood count causing/being cancer.

Greetings for 2008

Many thanks
dee

Hallo Dee
Some people get bone marrow suppression or bone marrow inefficiency that would need red blood transfusions. If she had blood cancer she probably would have had chemotherapy.
dr Bets

3
Posted by: lesta | 2009/02/06

my dad had a heart attack 2 weeks ago, he is still in ICU. he was improving a lot and all of a suden picked up a bug in the ward. 1 day later he needs a blood transfusion. why is that, has the staff done something wrong. he was fine and improving every hour. now everthing there is something new

Reply to lesta
Posted by: Tannevrou | 2008/05/18

What could be the cause of your bllod cell count to drop, meaning its bad for you

Reply to Tannevrou
Posted by: dee | 2008/01/08

many thanks for your response - I appreciate it -the transfusion treatment is only starting to-morrow and I just hope that the three weeks of transfusions will do the trick- I console myself with the fact that if it was a life & death situation they would immediately have started treatment but perhaps I am kidding myself - I am truly having sleepless nights over her - a slight underaction of her thyroid has also been diagnosed but the doc says they will deal with that after the transfusions - she obviously had bloodtests and these revealed the very low red blood - would blood cancer be picked up just on bloodtests or would there be further tests on those blood tests to establish cancer.. Sorry I am not articulate on medical matters due to "ignorance" so hope you understand what I'm trying to say - thank you

regards dee .

Reply to dee