Question
Posted by: FUZZY | 2003/03/04

WHITE SPOTS THAT DONT GO AWAY

Dear CyberDoc,

A few years ago I developed a circular large white spot on my wrist, months thereafter I developed something very similar on my front hip area. I saw two well known/top dermatologists. The first one said (after much consideration and flapping through books) that he thought my skin was dead! His treatment - something like a menthol based oil product did not work. I tried the next dermatologist who said he didn't think this was the problem - he prescribed another cream and still no luck. They get itchy when my skin is dry (especially winter) and if I scratch there are red dots. Do I persue and go and see a dermatologist again? This is becoming a bit of an expensive excercise...

Thanks for your help.
Fuzzy

Fuzzy, it sounds like it might be one of 3 things: a superficial fungal infection, vitiligo or a form of leprosy. The best would be to see a different dermatologist and have it sorted out. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you to someone, but otherwise you will have to ask your doctor. Good luck.