Posted by: Cobus | 2004/10/07


I dunno if I just missed it, but there seem to be no representation from a dermatologist. Be that as it may - i recently discovered that white spots are appearing on my back and became larger with time. What can be the cause of this and possible treatment. From what I could find out so far it is associated with Vitiligo. Advise and assitance in this regard will be highly appreciated.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Cobus, it is more likely to be due to a superficial yeast infection called tinea versicolor. It caused by Piyrosporum orbiculare aka Malassezia furfur. It is harmles, but can become quite unsightly. It is treated with something like Lamisil® spray , once daily for 7-10 days. You then need to tan again to get rid of the white spots.
Vitiligo has a more pinkish quality to is and is much more difficult to treat. If you feel that it might be vitiligo, the best would be to see a dermatologist instead of trying the above. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.