Question
Posted by: Cobus | 2004/10/07

WHITE SPOTS APPEARING ON SKIN

I dunno if I just missed it, but there seem to be no representation from a dermatologist. Be that as it may - i recently discovered that white spots are appearing on my back and became larger with time. What can be the cause of this and possible treatment. From what I could find out so far it is associated with Vitiligo. Advise and assitance in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Cobus, it is more likely to be due to a superficial yeast infection called tinea versicolor. It caused by Piyrosporum orbiculare aka Malassezia furfur. It is harmles, but can become quite unsightly. It is treated with something like Lamisil® spray , once daily for 7-10 days. You then need to tan again to get rid of the white spots.
Vitiligo has a more pinkish quality to is and is much more difficult to treat. If you feel that it might be vitiligo, the best would be to see a dermatologist instead of trying the above. Good luck.