Question
Posted by: chappie | 2008/01/27

White choclate ?

I know that choclate is very dangerous to dogs - is that the same case with white choclates? Everytime we eat choclates he jumps up and down asking for some but I have to be cruel to be kind and not let him have any. He is also very fond of cheese - Is that healthy because he only eats meat like steak, chicken and mince and still refuses to eat dog chunks. ( I dont blame him - the smell !)
I wish they could make dogfood without that terrible smell. No wonder some animals rufuse to eat it - lol I do put some rice with the meat but I feel he only get protein foods. I have taken food away from him for 2 days and still he wont eat dog food, I have tried all sort of mixtures and soften it with water or milk, but nothing helps. He is also fond of milk.
Thanks for this brilliant forum.

White chocolate does not contain cocoa so should not be toxic. However it is sweet and will cause tooth decay so it is best not to feed it to dogs. Tooth brushing will help to keep the breath fresh.

6
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/01/29

Chill, I have done ALOT of reading regarding giving chocolates to dogs (amongst many other topics) and I am fully aware of how harmful it can be to them. Just because I do certain things does not mean I have done no research. I make my decisions on how I treat my animals based on the research that I have already done.

The 'one ingredient' you are referring to is theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean. Theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.

Giving him the corner of a block is NOT going to do any harm and it is not as though I give him some everyday. I cannot remember when last I gave him some, not that I think about it. My puppy, for example, does not get any. Same goes for cheese, a little, once in a while will not do any harm. I am sure that Chappie is not going to feed the dogs only cheese and chocolate. Like I said before, everything in moderation!

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: chappe | 2008/01/29

Chill, - Thanks for your advise but just want to let you know my toypom is NOT bossing me around, he can not talk to me like humans do and the only way he can express his feeling is to jump up an down if he wants something. Surely they have a choice to show what they like and what they dont like and are not robots controlled by human beings whether it is for choclates (which I dont give to him ) or for Biltong. But I agree we as humans still have to "Control" them because we know better. Do we really know if food tastes different to them. By the reaction of them I think there taste budds are the same like ours. If they were given dog food from the beginning they would not have a dislike in it - The only mistake we make is to give them chicken and other type of meats while they are puppies and then they get spoiled. But they are so clever because that nice smell of meat in our kitchens tell them there is something better on the Menu.

Reply to chappe
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/28

Well, seems we see eye to eye on some things, Sindi - but if you cannot see anything wrong with giving your dog chocolate, then you haven't done any research. Dogs can't process one of the ingredients of chocolate, and just because you can't SEE this happening, doesn't mean it is ok. You may well be causing long-term harm to your dog - why not just give him a bit of biltong instead?

As regards the so-called 'dog chocolates' - they are basically just little brown gobs of solid fat - taste one, if you don't believe me. In my opinion, the only purpose they serve is to give a warm little glow to the people who buy them for their dogs. Oh yes, and to make some money for the manufacturers, of course.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Sindi | 2008/01/28

Hi Chappie.

I also agree with Chill regarding the dog food. My dog was very very ill some time ago and the Vet told me to feed him rice and chicken for 10 days, which I did. After that he did not want his dog pellets. I just left it. If he is hungry enough he will eat it. What chocolate and cheese is concerned, both my dogs LOVE it and I cannot see anything wrong with giving them some. Everything in moderation of course as with everything else.

Reply to Sindi
Posted by: butch | 2008/01/28

you can obtain "chocolate" for dogs -can get it in the dog food isle at supermarkets. They come in boxes marked dog
choc -I purchased some for my poodle she is made about chocolate

Reply to butch
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/27

I understand that white 'chocolate' isn't really chocolate as it doesn't seem to contain any cocoa solids. So theoretically it shouldn't be 'dangerous' to dogs for that reason. Check this on the label, to make sure.

What kind of bothers me is that you should consider yourself 'cruel' for not giving it to your dog. It seems to me that he is pushing all your buttons, and has you very well trained!

Don't worry about the smell of dogchunks. Dogs aren't people, they don't work the same as us, and what is awful to us is delicious to him, and vice versa. Another thing: no healthy dog has ever starved to death in the presence of food - he's running the show over there, and you're falling for it like a sucker!

There's a theory, which I tend to go along with, that dogs are happier when they are followers rather than leaders - ie, they lead more satisfying and contented lives when their pack leader - ie you! - sets behavioural parameters and enforces them. That means he doesn't have the stress of having to keep testing limits and boundaries - it's a bit like kids, in a sense - having rules and limits makes them feel more secure and safe. Give that some thought, next time your dog is bossing you around!

Reply to Chill