Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/08/15

Whikers mystery solved ???

Hello all
I have been quite mystified for the last few months as 2 of my daxies whiskers were getting shorter and shorter. Ceilie has virtually no Whiskers left on her face !! I was very worried as someone once told me that dogs whiskers are very important (but I can't remember why!!)
Anyway, I have been worrying about the Mystery of the short whiskers.
Well, last night the mystery was solved......Monty, the 3rd daxie has this habbit of licking the other dogs faces at night before bed. He licks them all over like he is cleaning them.
Last night I was watching him lick Max, then I saw him nibble one of Max's whiskers !!! He actually bit Max's whisker off with those sharp little daxie front teeth !!!!

Does anyone have any ideas why he would do this ?
And what effect would it have on Max and Ceilie to have bitten off whiskers ?

No idea why he would be doing this but it should not be detrimental. It is interesting that he allows the other dog to bite them off as they are sensory organs. The vibrisae (as they are known) are well attached in the facial skin nd the animal can move them voluntarily.