Question
Posted by: Jeff | 2007/08/25

Which rice is best?

Hi Vanessa please can you advise me on what is the best rice to use as a complex carb. Trainers say that Basmati rice is the best but I dont understand why as it is white rice which means it has a higher G.I than brown rice. What is so good about Basmati rice and why is it preffered by so many athletes?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Jeff

Best is always to select a lower GI rice while the GL (glycemic load = concentration of carbs) will determine the portion. The casual use of the word complex carb refers to how slow the carb digest which refers to a lower GI. Thus from the list below you can see that white Tastic rice has the best GI and has the second highest concentration (GL). Tastic in terms of GI is followed by Basmati which is most probably why is it the favoured rice as it tastes better than tastic rice for most people and the difference isn’t that significant. Look at Spekko’s long grain rice – see how much more concentrated the carbs there in is, thus to eat the same portion of carbs as Tastic you will eat a smaller portion – this works well for people who do not have huge appetites. Basmati comes in the normal “white” version and now more often seen brown basmati. You can see that there is a small difference in the GIs and a slightly larger difference in the GLs which refers back to the same scenario of portion size.
Hope this helps!

Take lots of care.
Vanessa

PRODUCT GI GL
Low GIs
Tastic Rice (regular) 50 20
Basmati Rice (spekko) 54 18
White Rice (long grain – spekko) 54 27
Basmati Brown rice (spekko) 55 16
Brown Rice (old mill) 55 16

Intermediate GIs
Basmati Rice (Tastic) 62 31
Risotto 69 29

High GIs
Jaasmine rice (spekko) 70 25
Jasmine rice 93 36

2
Posted by: Bob Gillies | 2015/09/16

I am diabetic and looking at the carb content of foods. Basmati rice is 77g carbohydrate and Spekko is 28g, how is this big difference explained?

Reply to Bob Gillies
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/03/24

This seems contrary to some other lists, could you please cite your sources. thanks