Question

Which psychologist to treat depression and food addiction?

First question:

I suspect that I have mild depression. I have thought as much for the past 5 years or so and did see someone who said it was just a phase and it wasn' t serious. But I still seem to think that I still have it and it is worth having treated in some way or another. I also did quizzes on this website which confirmed it.

My question: If I want someone to establish if I do suffer from depression and then treat it accurately (not necessarily with medication), which kind of psycologist do I need to see? I am not sure of the different types you get, but I think some are better at certain things (like the ones that just nod and make notes and then others that actually help you solve problems etc). Which would be best to treat depression?

Second question:

I have joined Weight Watchers and have lost almost 15kg to date (I weigh about 86kg now). I have read up a bit on being addicted to food. Being overweight is nothing new to me and having a " bad"  relationship with food has also always been a problem too (which might be linked to the depression above?).
So based on a few things, I think I might be a food addict. When I stop with Weight Watchers one day, I am worried that my unhealthy relationship with food might take over again. Who should I speak to to help me with this problem? Would the same psycologist above be able to assist? Or is this more like a " drug"  addiction and requires different treatment?

Please advise, thanks!

OK. A deep Major Depressive Episode does not last 5 years, though it may come and go. There's a variation called Dysthymia which is less severe but much more long lasting, and that is also a possibility to consider.
I rather like your characterization of shrinks. The "ones who just nod and make notes" are usually psychoanalytical typers and utterly useless. In many decades there's still no good evidence that their endless and passive methods are of any value at all. The method that currently has the largest amount of good quality scientific evidence of its effectiveness in Depression and many other proble conditions, is Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy. CBT, which is shorter, and far more active and involves youi in actively devising, testing and revising your own solutions.
And the advantage of CBT is that it would apply just as well to the issues of your relationship with ood, eating, shape, etc. These problems are ones involving maladaptive behaviour, but are NOT addiction of the traditional chemical sort, and thus don't need treatment other than CBT which aims at revising your unhelpful behaviours and habits of thought

2
Posted by: aerdrie | 2009/10/28

Dear Anon,

You might find the over Overeaters Anonymous program helpful for your relationship with food. Its not as " scary"  as it sounds :)
They welcome all shapes and sizes with all manner of disordered eating from under eating to binge eaters.

Good luck!

Reply to aerdrie