Posted by: aldes | 2009/06/09

Which programme to choose?

I am 35, about 12kg' s overweight and I want to lose weight &  get fit. I live in a small town with no gym. My husband has a trojan gym, but we do not have equipment for leg pushes. Which is the best programme to follow? Bikini body programme looks good, but we don' t have all the equipment. For cardio I would enjoy taebo mostly or walking. Could you help me put together a programme for about 45min 3-5 times a week? Just walking also sounds good, but what about strength?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi aides

I'd say you should mix and match to make best use of what you do have. In terms of the cardio, the best thing is always to do what you enjoy, because you need to do it often and for long, so enjoyment is perhaps the most vital aspect of all!

So I'd say a programme based around walking and taebo is the start. Given 4 days a week, that's 2 and 2, a nice split. Remember, you're aiming for 45 minutes, but to begin with, don't force it, and if you feel tired at 25 minutes, then stop. Your body will get used to it and in a month or two, you'll be at 45 minutes easily.

Next, the question of weight training. I'd say you should allocate one day a week to weight training ONLY, and two others where you add a shorter weight session to your walk or taebo session. You have the trojan, which is great, and allows you to do a good few exercises. The rest can be body weight. Leg presses are the same as squats, then lunges, calf raises, tricep dips and push ups complete a nice set. Some crunches for the abs, and you pretty much it all. I'd use the bikini body to guide you in how you put that together.

Hope that helps, I can't give the programme obviously in this format, but that should help you put it together, and using the programmes, you'll come up with something pretty nice, I think

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.