Question
Posted by: Liam Blakeway | 2008/01/07

Which is the best Diet book? (Diabetes)

Good Afternoon Diet Doc

Please could you advise what book I could purchase to help me eat a correctly balanced diet for a 23 year old? I have recently picked up a few extra kilograms (roughly about 15kg) and am continuously bugged by my parents to loose the excess wait due to the very high risk of diabetes running in our family. My Grandfather has it and so does my mother so they feel I'm next in line.

I would like to loose the extra wait but, do not just want to purchase any old diet book, is there any book you can advise that could help me loose the extra weight and eat correctly to try and avoid diabetes that is so saturated in our family blood line

Many Thanks

&

Kind Regards:

Liam Blakeway

Dear Liam
Because of the high risk of diabetes in your family it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. You can purchase the cookbook "South African Cookbook for Diabetes and Insulin Resistance" by Hilda Lategan a great help for low-GI recipes. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . Also keep in mind that regular daily aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day, is one of the most powerful ways of reducing weight and lowering raised blood sugar levels.
Enjoy

3
Posted by: Footloose | 2008/01/10

Also look for Eating for Sustained Energy 1 and 2. And Eat Smart Stay Slim by Lisbet Delport and Gabi Steenkamp - google them for their website also.

Reply to Footloose
Posted by: Y | 2008/01/08

Patrick Holford's low GI / low GL diets are good, but difficult to followin S.A. since all the ingredients are not available in S.A. Also too many rules and you have to eat very little.

I found Dr Agaston's South Beach Diet more useful and easier to follow.

(I'm prediabetic myself).

Reply to Y
Posted by: mmimmi | 2008/01/07

Patrick Holford's low-GI book is the best to base a healthy, low fat diet on.

Reply to mmimmi