Question
Posted by: CaveMan | 2007/05/24

Which is better?

Okay so I'm not sure if this has been asked before.

What is better? Doing more reps at less weight or less reps at more weight?

I don't want to build like a BodyBuilder. I would like to build lean muscle as I'm already a big bloke.

Could you also point me in the right direction so I can read up on this subject a little more?

DJ

hi DJ

Given your goal of building lean mass without getting massive, the better option is to do more reps but at a lighter weight. When using very heavy weights, you shift the adaptation towards muscle hypertrophy, which means building bigger muscles. And the number of reps is determined a lot by the size of the weight, so that's the compromise one chooses to make - generally between 12 and 15 reps is done for toning, whereas muscle hypertrophy uses between 6 and 8 reps. Getting the weight right is key though, and there are a number of different methods for choosing this. I would suggest you read through the Health 24 site first, where there is some information. For more advanced level reading, you can page through internet sites for info. Some examples are:
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/strength.html

and then good old wikipedia, which is pretty accurate on this one, for the most part

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_training