Question
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/21

Which fruits?

Hi there! I know we're supposed to eat five fruits a day, but which five fruits are advisable? I normally have a few bananas and apples every day.....could this be bad? Since i started eating healthier, i've picked up 5 kg's! What's going on here! Its not like im eating junk food, its all healthy stuff, muesli, yoghurt, salads, fruit, water etc. i dont understand. Could it be im eating to many fruit, or even bananas?

Dear Rene
The idea with fruit and all other foods is to eat a Variety so that you obtain the maximum benefit. Apples and bananas are wonderful fruits, but your diet would be more balanced if you ate 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 orange, a portion of pawpaw, and say some mango, varying the fruits every day. Secondly all foods, no matter how nutritious they may be, do have the potential to cause weight gain IF you eat them in excess and by doing so exceed your daily energy requirement. So get some variety in your fruit intake and check carefully if your energy intake is not too high. Think of increasing your energy output by doing some exercise to balance your energy intake.
Enjoy

3
Posted by: S | 2004/10/21

Hi Rene
Its me agani S, just thought of some more advice. If you are really keen on losing weight I really would suggest you join a group (eg Weigh Less or something similar) as I know I struggled to diet on my own but doing it with a group really motivates one brilliantly. Sometimes it helps having someone else watching us rather than us looking after ourselves. Weigh Less is not a diet but a correct way of eating. It will stay with you for life and you really do get loads to eat.

Reply to S
Posted by: S | 2004/10/21

Hi Rene
i am not sure what diet you are on so excuse me butting in! I am on weigh less and you can only have 3 fruits a day which is ample for a balanced meal. i know bananas can be quite fattening so if you do eat them its fine but rather limit it to one banana a day. i usually have an orange or apple aswell. I have lost 10 kgs and going strong. U shouldnt be picking up weight though so you must be doing something wrong - you will need to take a very close look at all the meals you are eating. eg No fatting salad dressings, also muesli isnt great for you unless its unsweetened. most of the mueslis are sweetened and thats why they are so nice and FATTENING too. also what milk are you using - skim milk long life is great . do you have quite a bit of weight to lose or not really?
good luck as i know what a battle it is

Reply to S
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/21

A few bananas a day ? I would think that can't be too good for you. Bananas take a long time to digest, and I always thought that the recommended amount to consume was only 1 a day.

Reply to FH