Question
Posted by: Ciska | 2004/01/22

Which foods?

I'm talking on behalf of my friend. She'd like to know which foods you aren't alout to eat when you are breastfeeding. I have also another question about her. She thinks she might be just a bit more than 2 months pregnat, but she's already starting to show and she's also very hard on her abdomen area. Do you she's almost 3 months or more? I know she called me on the 27th of December and told me that the blood test indicated that she's 3-5 weeks pregnant. Something doesn' make sense here.

Thanks for all the help.

You can eat most things when breastfeeding. You should avoid drugs and alcohol though. The uterus only reaches above the pubic bone by 3 months, but there are changes in the abdominal muscles, etc before this which might make the abdomen look bigger. The most accurate way of checking how far the pregnancy is is a scan.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/22

You can eat normally when breast feeding, so long as you follow a healthy diet.
No food is going to flavour the milk or give the baby wind or anything like that - those are all old wives tales. Also, milk stout isn't going to increase milk production - feeding more often increases milk production.
She doesn't need to do anything to her breasts to prepare them for breastfeeding - they're designed for feeding and are readied by pregnancy.
Like in pregnancy, she shouldn't take any medication, drink alcohol or smoke while breastfeeding.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: dee | 2004/01/22

She must go to the gynae, they will be able to tell her exactly how far she is, from the scan.
You usually count from the first day of your last period to see how far you are.
If your tummy is usually flat, then it is possible to start showing a little quite early. It snot the baby that is showing really, its just everything in your body moving to make space for the baby and i think maybe a bit of water retention?

Reply to dee