Question
Posted by: No-more-fatty | 2004/11/03

Which cheese?

Hi Doc:

Following a weight-loss of over 30kg, I have maintained my weight for over a year by sticking to a low-fat, high-fibre life style. However, I love cheese but keep away from hard cheese like cheddar etc. beacuse of the fat content. What kind of cheese, e.g Edam, Mozzarella etc. would you recommend as part of a low-fat diet?

Dear Slender Reader
Firstly congratulations for having lost those 30 kg or more. You are a bright shining ***star***. In regard to cheese it is good to remember that the softer the cheese, the lower the fat and energy contents will be. Thus soft ripe cheese like Camembert, Brie and Limburger contain 24,3g fat and 300 cal/100g; blue mould cheese like Blaauwkrantz and Roquefort contain 29,7g fat and 361 cal/100g; Cheddar, Cheshire, Gruyere and Emmental contain 33,1g fat and 403 cal/100g; Feta contains 21,3g fat and 264 cal/100g; hard goat's cheese contains 35,6g fat and 452 cal/100g, while soft goat's cheese contains 21,2g fat and 268 cal; Gouda, Edam and Swiss contain 27,4g fat and 356 cal/100g; Mozzarella contains 21,6g fat and 356 cal/100g; Parmesan contains 30,0g fat and 456 cal/100g; Ricotta contains 7,9g fat and 138 cal/100g. You can, therefore, use Camembert, Brie, Limburger, Feta, Gouda, Edam, Swiss, Mozzarella, Ricotta and soft goat's cheese in moderation.
Enjoy