Question
Posted by: David I | 2004/03/12

Whey Proteins, Glutamine

I'm a novice weight lifter and was wondering which form of whey is the best to use so as to gain lean muscle.

Could you please explain the difference between L- Glutamine, Glutamic Acid and Glutamine peptides.

Then lastly, what would be the best source of the supplements.

Thanx

Dear David
To gain lean muscle you need about 2g of protein per kg body weight - if you weigh 70 kg, this translates to 140 g of protein a day (e.g. 3-4 cups of milk, an egg, and 2 moderate portions of meat or fish or cheese). This is what most South Africans eat on a daily basis, so it is not really necessary to take protein or amino acid supplements. Making sure that you also have an adequate intake of unsifted, unprocessed carbohydrates to provide sufficient fuel for your exercise programme is protein-sparing - so make sure that you are eating plenty of wholewheat or high-fibre cereals, brown rice, pasta, fruit and vegetables. The compounds you list as different versions of glutamate (an amino acid) - L-glutamine is the actual amino acid, glutamic acid is a chemical version and glutamine peptides are larger protein components (peptides) that contain glutamine.
I am not sure what supplements you are referring to, but you basically don't need to take all kinds of supplements if you are eating a balanced diet.