Question
Posted by: Little Atlas | 2004/11/19

Where/how do I start dealing with this?

I feel though this year is starting to catch up on me bigtime, and its not a good feeling. This year I moved house, graduated, started a new job, got married, lost my father, got overworked, had health problems, and am not enjoying my new job, plus seriously searching for a house to buy, and experiencing temporary financial problems. I've been fine until about a month ago, but by now have lost interest in everything I usually enjoy doing, have withdrawn from my social life to a large extent, and am really starting to have trouble facing my dad's death. Obviously I need help, but can't afford a psychologist. Can you recommend a self-help book that I can read? or how else do I start dealing with this past year? I think I'm edging on depression, and its also impacting on my husband (who's very supportive).

Thanks in advance.

There's actually a load of research showing not only that stress affects our lives, but that if you add up the scores for all the streesful events we face within a year ( and even something like winning a lottery is highly stressful ) then when the total score goes over a certain amount, our chances of developing a physical or psych illness are significantly higher. Obviously some such events are beyond our control, but to the extent that we can control at least the timing of some of the others, we can usefully try to avoid adding too many of them within one year.
Sounds like a growing Depression is possible, and that counselling would help --- ceck what might be available from a reachable medical school Dept of Psychology, or your local state hospital. And if the depression is becoming significant, your GP might be able to help with an assessment and some medication.

4
Posted by: phillip | 2004/11/21

start by the death of your father. you have lost someone in your life and that is big. the pot is shatered into small peices witch can never be put together again into it's original form but all those peices can be put together to make something else that you can build from. your grieve will never go away but it will ease with time. feel free to mourn,it is the right thing to do and remember the good that came out of you relationship with your dad.we were all there where you are now but not one felt the same about the setuation we were in.only you know how you feel and it is right to feel that why. stay strong and belief i yourself.
all of us who read your letter feel with you.

Reply to phillip
Posted by: Tess | 2004/11/19

Perhaps you should slow down for a while, put off finding a house until next year, take a few days off and go somewhere with your husband and just talk. It may be that you are losing interest in things because your body is telling you to slow down for a while. Sometimes we feel an urgency to sort things out when we have troubles in our lives and rush into all kinds of things trying to make ourselves feel better. Just take a breather and try to decide what is really important and concentrate on fixing one thing at a time. Dont pressurise yourself too much. Good Luck!

Reply to Tess
Posted by: CK | 2004/11/19

Also "the power is within you" y Louise Hays, its a good read, I am currently reading it and I love it.

Reply to CK
Posted by: Siza | 2004/11/19

not sure of the titel "what millionaires think" or whats in the mind of millionaires

Reply to Siza