Posted by: Sugar | 2008/09/30

Where to start???

Hello there FD

So I' m officially turing over a new leaf... I' ve just decided. No more smoking, no more " couching" ... it' s fit time.

I need to know the best sort of excercise I can do to get fit fast and lose weight too... Very important please! I have a very busy job so would only be able to hit the gym after work. Would it be enough to do a session of just swimming, or would I need to swim AND do treadmil (for eg) in order to have an effective workout? Just some background: I' m a 24 yr old female. I used to be very fit about 5 years ago but alas I' ve let myself go a tad since I started working. Hence the new leaf. Also bare in mind that I' m a quitting smoker. My BMI is 26 - I' m about 10kg' s overweight. Sis!

Thanks so much!

Hi Sugar

Good for you! Glad you're halfway there...

With regards to exercise, it's important that you look at this as a long distance race and not a sprint - it is hardly ever productive to aim for rapid results, because if you achieve, they usually disappear as fast afterwards, and it's the more sustained, steady progress that you need if you want to keep the weight off.

I think in the beginning, then, you would be better off doing just the swimming OR just the treadmill - don't overdo it early. Why risk injury, and then find yourself confined to the couch anyway?! So I'd say for a couple of weeks at least, just be prudent and do only what you are capable of. a 30 minute swim, or a 45 minute session on the treadmill, consisting of some walking and some jogging (depends what you can manage) will be just perfect for now. Also, try to give yourself a rest day every now and then - five days in a row is probably not a good idea just yet. I'd say 3 days is the most you should go before taking a day off. Ideally, 4 days a week is all you need. ONce you get fitter, you can add days, and add time and add exercise, so that's when the fun really starts, but you have to lay a foundation first, otherwise you will find yourself getting injured or burned out later on.

Posted by: Bokki | 2008/10/13

Going for elbow operation, need to know what i can do to in the meantime to say fit..been gyming everday but the doc said no gym till elbow is fixed so any suggestions for saying fit.

Reply to Bokki