Question
Posted by: Lory | 2007/05/04

Where to from here?

To who it may concern, I need advice please, i was/am an athlete up until about 2 months ago i lived for my sport and now i cant seem to get my head around doing anything. Its constantly on my mind somehow i just seem to be uninterested.I was sexually abused about 4 years ago could it be catching up on me?

Sorry to hear about this, Lory, but its really not posible to guess from this distance. Sexual abuse has varying effects on us, but those effects can be minimised by proper CBT counselling. You don't mention how long yopu have been devoting yourself to the athletics, but maybe this total devotion to athletics was in part a reaction to, and even a degree of avoidance of, the abuse experience, and dealing properly and realistically with it through CBT counselling would clear things up usefully. And of course Depression is a real possibility which often leads to a loss of interest especially in wwhatever usually interests us the most